read more recent story comments Reader comments
Friday, January 13, 2012: 12:42 pm
More from jdigger
|They really need to call the bill what it is. right to work is just governmental union busting|
pure and simple.
Friday, January 13, 2012: 5:24 pm
More from Rod1
|Remember that even if you are not a member of a union often your wages are as high as they are because unions exist.|
Friday, January 13, 2012: 8:19 pm
More from garyoakes
|Unfortunately "right to work" is not about the employee or the business. Only a tiny fraction of union dues go to support the cost of bargaining every three years ( business agent and attorney). The lack of "choice" when forced to pay dues is really not even the reason this battle wages on. As always we're really talking about money -- the money to support union political agendas that the Democrats want and that the Republicans want eliminated.|
Saturday, January 14, 2012: 9:40 am
More from voter
|referendum is best awnser|
Saturday, January 14, 2012: 1:12 pm
More from Bluecollar
|Gary is EXACTLY right... This is about taking money from the democrats.Period. If dues aren't being paid, unions will have less money to support the political leaders who support them. |
Interesting tidbit I heard the other day. Only 18% of Indiana's workers belong to a union. So businesses won't locate here because of 18% of the population's desire to belong to a union? Yeah right
Saturday, January 14, 2012: 2:43 pm
More from booger
|Less than 10% of the country is union and it is wrong, according to Daniels and the business world. However, less than 1% own 99% of the wealth, and that is okay. Any questions?|
Keep voting these guys in, watch your rights dissappear.Period. What's wrong with you? Working people who don't want to be union can go work at Walmart already. They would love to have you there for $7.25/hour and limited benefits.
Saturday, January 14, 2012: 3:15 pm
More from Greg
|Unions were founded to keep workers safe, stop businesses from bullying the worker, and make certain that workers were paid fairly and got to keep their pay. It's funny how the victim can sometimes become the bully. Regardless, now unions are complaining that all workers benefit from the union, therefore all workers should pay into the union. Someone please explain to me then, how these same unions support a political opinion that wants 1% of Americans to support the other 99% in the form of government aid.|
Saturday, January 14, 2012: 4:06 pm
More from Sunny
I believe 2010 stats show that just under 11% of the Indiana workforce is Union, and just under 12% nationally. None the less I understand your questioning of how a minority of the workforce shuns away business from Indiana. I fail to see logic in this reasoning. I personally would like to know the names of the alleged business' that strike Indiana of their list as a potential site to relocate or expand in the past.
The states with the poorest economies and the highest unemployment rates from what I understand are "Right to Work" states. I have spoken with numerous people about this personally...from all walks of life, and different professions and only found two that fully support this bill.
If you don't want your money going to the political causes (Democrats) a union member can pay dues...of a lesser rate... that by law can't be allocated to these funds. That is fair considering you are receiving the benefits, wages, and representation that a union fights for and provides. I hear this word "Socialism" being used often in matters of unions...yet this "Right to Work" bill forces unions to represent people not belonging to nor paying dues of any kind to the organization. Define Irony.
I do believe that all workers benefit from a union because unions have set the bar for middle class in the past. However, I don't recall there being an official decree that "ALL" workers should pay into the union. Yes...organizers will try to organize non-union labor. I also don't believe that unions want 1% to support the other 99% in the form of government aid. I'm not quite sure what you mean. I work for a living, not afraid to work, and I don't have my hand out asking for anything.
Saturday, January 14, 2012: 7:27 pm
More from A Hoosier
|Greg, are you saying that dems want the 1% to support the 99%? No one wants or expects that. As for me, I consider that rhetoric. What we want is fair policies. Fair laws, fair trade, fair wages, fair taxation, fair. Who defines fair can also be a problem.|
Saturday, January 14, 2012: 9:19 pm
More from jdigger
|It is not that I want the one percent to support the 99% it is just I really don,t want the government holding us why they have their way with us.|
Saturday, January 14, 2012: 11:24 pm
More from Greg
|Fair is me getting 51% while you get 49%. ;-) I am willing to admit that "Right to Work" is union-busting operation. I am not willing to accept that union-busting is a bad thing, however.|
Sunday, January 15, 2012: 12:50 am
More from Lassiter
Voter is correct! With a referendum unions will not be able to spend big bucks influencing elected officials. With that taken away the unions only stand a 10% chance in a referendum according to voter and Sunny.
Folks, the problem here is the unions are just as corrupt as the corporations. The only thing more corrupt would be our current federal government. More specifically the executive branch.
|44 comments found|
|1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next|
» more TABLE OF CONTENTS »
Area salaries & stats
IU sports blog
Fantasy racing league
Quit Smoking...Do It
The Hoosier Scoop
Hoosier Wine Cellar
Residential real estate
Place an ad